The other girl asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do I get my boyfriend to give his dog to a family ?

Hi all. My boyfriend (25) recently got an Italian greyhound puppy. Due to covid we are living with our parents in separate towns about 4 hours apart. My parents and grandparents have told me the dog is not allowed at their houses, which i understand. My boyfriends mom does not like the dog either because it is not trained. My boyfriend is just getting through cancer and can’t really afford to pay for a dog right now. 

My problem is the dog is inhibiting us from traveling and living our lives as 20 year olds. His mom won’t dog sit and the dog isn’t allowed at my house so I have to go visit him. (Side note his mom is mildly psycho and hates me so I am uncomfortable visiting which he understands). When we move back to our city I told him I don’t want the dog at my apartment because I don’t want to clean up any messes and I don’t want to pay the extra $500 pet fee. We work all day so the dog will be left in an apartment while we work. Because of his chemo schedule and his mom not wanting to care for the dog, it stays in his cage all day. This is not ideal for that breed. 

We have already had to turn down many travel opportunities because no one will watch the dog. I think it’s in my boyfriends best interest to give him up to a family with a yard so it will live a happy life. How do I try to put my point across without coming across as something offensive?

This is just one example of what life with this manchild will be like.  Say this to him.... ........"You have this chance to prove to me you are capable of understanding a problem and are capable of doing the right thing.  If you fail, then you are out of

my life."

• a

This is all bogus.

1) Not your dog.

2) Living with mummy and daddy, both of you, because of COVID? Odd, thousands of men and women kept their apartments.

3) Missed *many* occasions to travel? Really, during lockdown and your bf's chemo treatments? 

4) Bf may value his dog more than living with his girlfriend. Sad, but it's his choice to make.

It does sound like a lousy environment for the dog, I'll give you that. But it's not your problem.

You CHOSE to get a dog during Covid?  You CHOSE to get a dog while both of you living with your/his parents?  You CHOSE to get a puppy while your bf is undergoing chemo?  I completely don't understand why/how you left your apartment to live with family "because of Covid."  This puppy (however this turns out) will suffer because of the choices YOU and your bf made.  Did anyone ever explain living creatures vs stuffed toys to either one of you?

None of your story makes sense...

You got the dog in the middle of covid but haven't been able to travel because of the dog? 

Does the boyfriend work all day or go to chemo all day?

Are you trying to write a book and testing the plot on us?  It's not working.

The dog would be a good companion even when traveling.  With proper training the dog wouldn't be a problem.  It takes a few days to a few weeks to potty train it, teach it not to bite & put it through basic obedience.  Basic Obedience takes about 8 weeks to train.

What is wrong with these people the dog is a puppy.  A helpless little puppy & doesn't know anything yet.  He hasn't had any training & no one is helping.  Why can't people respect the bf for what he wants?  Why can't they help train it?  It is just a puppy.  It has to lean to go potty outside, it needs to learn not to bite, it has to learn to be an obedient dog & no one is willing to help. Why is everyone against this poor man?

If you use a 'exercise pen for dogs' (google it), the pup won't be all over the house.  It is safer than a crate, it is portable & the come in all kinds of sizes & heights.  It can be set up anywhere.  At the beach, at a park, in the yard, at a friends house, just about anywhere.

He may be wanting a pet for a companion or emotional support.

Point out all the issues to him and ask why he wants this puppy so badly?   What he wants out of a pet, another pet that is less maintenance may fulfill.   A cat, for example, can be a companion, but can be content to be left alone for some amount of time.

I myself like my snake.   I work 48 hrs, and he just doesnt care if I'm gone all day.

Maybe a compromise on a more suitable pet may be the answer?

Give him the best sloppy head. 

• Jojo

Your b/f needs to put the dogs needs first, before any of his own feelings about the dog.

If this is a puppy, it will settle into a new home very easily and for him to keep  this dog under all those negative circumstances is an extremely selfish attitude .

Why your silly b/f got a puppy in the first place, if he can`t afford to pay out on it is a big mystery.

Tell him to do what is `right` for this pup and the sooner the better. JMO.

• jean

There are a lot of people who would want an italian greyhound, and if the best you can do is leaving it in a cage all day then hand it over to a dog rescue place ASAP.

I really don't understand any of this.  You say your b/f has just got an It.Greyhound and next he can't afford a dog.   Also travelling during a Covid situation normally isn't allowed, depending on where in the world you are, so frankly right now you'd not be able to 'live your life as 20 year olds' which is the same for pretty much all of us at the moment.

If the future for this puppy is crate living, for hours, which isn't ideal for ANY breed, please take it straight back to where it came from.    It's tragic that breeders don't do more to find out what life is intended for the puppies they breed and sell.