Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 month ago

How do sellers make custom hand-made orders quickly for sites like Etsy?

I'm curious how it's possible for people to sell custom made stuff on sites like Etsy.  They must have a warehouse stockpiled with supplies.  

I made a couple of handmade oak dog beds in my garage workshop.  They looked nice and my neighbor suggested I start selling them on Etsy.  When I looked, the competition offered several sizes including a custom size, 5 different kinds of wood, a dozen different kinds of stain and the list goes on.  Somebody orders one and they expect it to be shipped quickly, but I could end up with 20 custom orders that I may have to get extra supplies to finish, then work my butt off when I should be sleeping only to have customers complain that I'm taking too long to fill their order.

One time I tried hand screen printing some T-shirts for an event.  They wanted white ink on black shirts.  I had to order the plain black shirts because they needed 100 shirts, all different sizes.  The supplier back ordered the shirts, then a huge box showed up on my doorstep days AFTER the event.  As a result, the organization had to go out of town to a professional printer to have their shirts done and left me stuck with a big box of black T-shirts in assorted sizes. 

Would there be anything wrong with offering less choices when selling on these sites? 

Are these sellers mostly retired and have nothing better to do?  

They can make things to order and yes many are probably retired or part time too

They hire Trolls to do the work for them