Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

What do you think of older men that leave their childhood sweetheart wives because they have a narcissistic midlife crisis panic attack?

• Archer

The same as I do for women who do the same thing.

• Foofa

This is just the flip side of the late 20's divorcee who admits "we got married too young". Part of the elevated divorce rates include older people who also got married too young but stuck with it for decades owing to social conventions only to look around and see that divorce was no longer shameful. It's sad of course but this is often amongst the "cusp" generation that grew up under one set of social conventions only to have to navigate adulthood under a different set of rules. 

• ?

I think such men are foolish but the system tends to make it inevitable.  There are few acceptable outlets for a midlife crisis which is what makes it such a crisis.  If you can get through the crisis your childhood sweetheart will be the one you value when you get older.  This is why I can understand those who have flings at this stage.  What I can't understand is why that is permitted to destroy a relationship that remains in both partner's common interests.

Narcissism is a medical diagnosis.  Once a PHYSICIAN makes the diagnosis, then the man should speak to that same PHYSICIAN and get a referral to a mental health counsellor.  Narcissistic is not a flippant term that suits everyone.

I usually think that I don't really have the ability to see into that marriage at all. But it is likely that the man wasn't so very happy and decided that, with the time left in his life, he'd seek a different experience. 

• ?

An teacher of ours married his childhood sweetheart, and told us, "Be very careful. It's not easy marrying someone anyway, marrying young is even harder."

Fast forward ten years, he's divorced his wife and married one of the women he coached when she was a high school basketball star. 

I think people should try to work things out with a spouse, but it's good that leaving is an option. After all, if someone is never going to feel romantic toward you ever again, shouldn't YOU be free to pursue other people?

I know someone who is staying married because...well, I don't know the details, but I guess his wife said she'd make him miserable if he left. They aren't intimate any more, he said. She told him he can do whatever he wants with whomever he wants, she just doesn't want to divorce. He feels sad. He said ethically, he doesn't feel like he should date, since he can't promise anything to another woman. And what if she, even knowing the circumstances, actually fell in love with him? He said he'd feel terrible.  

• kristy

It usually backfires on them

• ?

Things change, feelings change. Many just stay despite being unhappy for centuries (both men a women), but wait until the children are big enough to cope on their own.

Narcissistic midlife crises panic attacks have probably very little to do with it, but I guess it happens to.

I feel like it would of happened eventually. People need time to be themselves at least for a bit. He might come to his senses soon or might not. Maybe he felt unsupported and found the only way was to leave