samantha asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Should I take my cat with me when I move out of my parent’s house? ?

I’m moving out of my parent’s house for the first time and into an apartment with my boyfriend of 3 years. My parents adopted a cat when I was young and she has always been attached to me and only me. She has a couple health issues and my parents refuse to take her to the vet when a new one appears which makes me anxious to leave her there. She’s an elderly cat so I worry about vet bills becoming overwhelming for me financially but I’d do anything to keep her healthy. I also worry that she’d become depressed if I was gone. She sleeps with me every night and when I’m gone with my friends or my boyfriend for a night or two she stays in my room and refuses to leave except to use the litter box. She’s 10 years old and that’s how life has always been for her she’s always had me around. She’s always lived around other cats though which makes me wonder if she’d become lonely when we aren’t home. 

No, leave the cat there to piss them off. 

• ?

If she considers you her person, then by all means bring her with you when you move out. Make sure you have written permission in your lease to have your cat. Landlords will not hesitate to evict you for violating your lease and sue you for “damages” on top of that. Do not let your cat outside after you move.

Take her with you.  The only problem I see is your statement that she sleeps with you.  Once you live with your bf, is that still possible?  How does bf feel about the possibility/probability?  Certainly do not leave her with people who don't care enough to take her to a vet.

Yes, you should take the cat with you under the circumstances.

It's a no-brainer - TAKE the child WITH you!  

Take her. Start saving for vet bills. Any amount helps but save as much as you can. If it comes down to it you can have her put down if you cannot afford the vet bills. Its better than leaving her at your parents to suffer with her issues. 

Since she's bonded to you I would think she would be happier with you even if there are no other cats around. If she loves other cats you can consider fostering. Its free for you. 

• PR

You don't say how many other cats are in the house? If she is bonded with one of the other cats, would your parents consider allowing you to bring two cats with you (if allowed) to your new home?

The first thing to consider in this is whether the apartments allow cats? If not, be careful in this, because you don't want the lease to be revoked if not going by the rules.

Since the cat is bonded with you, it is likely she will be happier to be with you, even in this new place. Of course, your boyfriend should also like her. If he doesn't, I would choose the cat over the bf, because that usually is a good indicator of what sort of person you are with. It is also a matter of compatibility - if one person is an animal lover, and the other is not, the relationship may or may not last.

Another point is that your cat is not necessarily "elderly". A well cared for cat should live between 15 and 20 years, indoors. These "health issues" should be looked at by a vet. In ignoring these issues, you will likely run higher vet bills, than taking care of them right away. At any vet office, you can agree or refuse certain portions of a treatment. If, for example, the cat might have an infection, the vet can run tests to determine what sort of infection it is - or they can prescribe antibiotics and see if it helps, without running additional tests. Besides that, some vets will even write a prescription for you to take to your own pharmacy, which can also be cheaper or ever free, if it is an antibiotic.

A cat is a bit like a small child. You would not consider leaving your child somewhere else because of health or doctor bills. Don't let the cat's health decline, and if your parents are not taking care of this, it is up to you, and this kitty loves you.

Try to feed a relatively good quality cat food. Offer dry/canned and water mixed together. This avoids fur balls. Offer a plant called "Dracanea" which can be found at local stores. Cats like to chew on this and it helps them pass fur balls. Be sure there is water always available. Do not give milk to your cat unless she is constipated. Milk can cause diarrhea. 

I vote for taking the cat with you, since she is bonded with you. She will likely be happier since you are her "person". Possibly bring one of the other cats along if you can, but she may be just as happy as an only cat.  If it doesn't work out and she seems stressed, then take her back to your parents' house. She sounds like she prefers to be with you. I also would not recommend getting a kitten friend for her, unless she really loves other cats. That would likely not be on the top of her list.

If your parents don’t take her to the vet when she has health issues, then you should keep the cat. Normally, I’d say the family pet should stay with the rest of the family, but it sounds like you really love and care about this cat more than your family does. I’ve had cats all my life, and they get really attached to their owners. Some cats adjust easily to new environments and new people, and some don’t. Cats aren’t really social creatures, so don’t worry too much about her being lonely (unless you’re gone a lot). If it were me, I’d want to take the cat with me. I absolutely love my cat, and I could never leave him with someone who I don’t trust to take good care of him.