Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Is remodeling a house to be sold different from remodeling a house to be rented?

Would you make the same rehab choices or different rehab choices?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

For me, yes, I would remodel totally differently if I were selling opposed to renting.

Selling... I would use higher end finishes. Better plumbing and lighting fixtures. More expensive floors and better kitchen/ bath cabinety. All of this if the house was in an up and comming neighborhood and it needed updating.

Renting ... I would not get the cheapest of everything, but would focus on affordable and durability , not lowest end prices. Less expensive light fixtures, counter tops. Vinyl, not tile in the bathrooms and kitchen.

The sale of the house is a return in your investment.

A rental produces year round income and pays for itself for a longterm investment .

• 1 month ago

Buyers are pickier than renters, for the most part. They want certain amenities when they are paying tens of thousands of dollars for a home they will live in for a long time. Renters just want it to be clean, convenient as possible, and have the basics. So yes, I think you do need to be more conscious of what rehabbing you do when you plan to sell the house. 

The TYPES of amenities and rehabbing you do depends on the house, and where it's located--and what sort of market you're selling on or renting for. There are too many combinations to list here. But whether or not you're selling or renting, the thing you have to do first is compare your house with others that have sold in the same neighborhood; see what prices they have sold for, what the square footage is, what inside and outside amenities there are--and move ahead accordingly with your rehab. 

• 1 month ago

If you are selling then you want to make changes that make the house more attractive to a buyer. If you are renting then you want to make the changes so the house is more durable or easier to repair. Even the best of renters will cause some wear and tear on the house so keep that in mind when remodeling. 

• 1 month ago

landlords make different choices, yes.  they prefer repair to replace -- example:  staining a carpet that shows like wear but discoloration instead of replacing it.  [hint:  some carpet cleaning outfits can stain the carpet]

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No they are both quick and easy make overs 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

On a different tack. It can be a total waste of money remodelling a house to be sold. Most agents will say don't do it for a couple of reasons. 1) Buyers may not like the decor you choose. 2) They THINK they are getting it at a reduced price if the agents says 'it needs work'. Ask your agent as I believe they will confirm this.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have a rent house, you tend to keep things the same like the other rent houses.  For example, you will use the same paint so that you can use the same paint at multiple places.  You also will do things that facilitate fixing things.  If you are fixing to sell, you don't pay attention to inventory and supplies.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. I have done both. For sale you have to make it as high spec as the market will take (but no higher) chances are the purchaser will rip it all out anyway, but no matter. You are effectively selling a lifestyle and people want to know they are getting quality stuff, the more gadgets the better.  For rental you need to think about how things are going to last, how easily they can be replaced and how to spend the minimum/do the least amount of work so as to maximise the rental return.

• 1 month ago

For renting, landlords tend to choose cheaper, but durable materials, which may not necessarily be the prettiest.   A high traffic, low pile carpet instead of something more plush..    Landlords also tend to go with the same generic color of paint, tiles, carpet etc so repairs and replacements can easily be done without having to redo the entire thing.

For selling, you want to try to keep within your budget, yet offer features that give the home appeal.   Most go with light, neutral colors when aiming to sell a home, but instead of white for walls, something with a hint of color like a beige or light grey add more to the eye than plain white.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.