Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 2 months ago

How are wooden desks made when most trees don't look that wide?

How does a tree become a wide piece of wood 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There are different methods, two of the most common being laminating (gluing boards together edge to edge - if done very skillfully it can be hard to see where they meet) or peeling a veneer (you spin a log and peel off a continuous thin layer giving you a sheet material - this is how they make plywood and large flat surfaces like desks).

• Zirp
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Like the previous two answerers said

Or by allowing the tree to stand and live for a hundred years or more

• 2 months ago

If you have a desk with a single plank for a top, it is not very likely a new desk, or it is an expensive desk.  A two-foot wide chunk of trunk isn't all that common anymore. Those trees got chopped a long time ago.

Far more likely that you have a desktop made from more than one "piece" of wood.

Huh, I just took a good look at this old pine desk I inherited from my dad, and am sitting at right now, and sure enough, it has a single plank top. One inch thick too. Not like that cheap-ass crap you get nowadays.  No pasteboard, no laminate.  Just solid wood.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.