Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Identify the grammatically correct sentence from the options given. a)She is the more clever of the two. b)She is the cleverer of the two.?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

a) is correct.  The fact that b) is so awkward to say is a clue that it's not the answer.

• 1 month ago

Option 'A' is the correct option. I found the rule for 'More vs ER' as I knew there was a reason, but I couldn't remember how it worked. I saved it for you for the future.

For adjectives that are just one syllable, add -er to the end (this explains the above example). For two-syllable adjectives not ending in -y and for all three-or-more-syllable adjectives, use the form “more + adjective.” For two-syllable adjectives ending in -y, change the -y to -i and add -er.

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The correct choice is a). The problem with b) is "cleverer" is not a word.

• 1 month ago

There is nothing wrong with either.  some avoid that double-er sound so prefer "More clever" to "cleverer" but neither is incorrect.  There is no obligation to use the -er form rather than the modifier more. 

I, myself, would tend to say "More clever" for the comparative yet "cleverest" for the superlative.  The "rrr" sound is not may favorite, I have trouble with it, so I tend to avoid it (especially a doubling of that "rrr" sound. err-err?  No thanks.

One is generally favored over the other, like more good is typically said as "Better", but more hungry and hungrier are pretty much interchangeable.

I am more hungry than I was at this time yesterday.  I wonder why.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It's  'a'.

Native American English speaker for many decades.

You could also say "cleverest'. Use the superlative when comparing just two people

Source(s): Native American English speaker. Grammar websites.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.