Identify the grammatically correct sentence from the options given. a)She is the more clever of the two. b)She is the cleverer of the two.?

a) is correct.  The fact that b) is so awkward to say is a clue that it's not the answer.

Option 'A' is the correct option. I found the rule for 'More vs ER' as I knew there was a reason, but I couldn't remember how it worked. I saved it for you for the future.

For adjectives that are just one syllable, add -er to the end (this explains the above example). For two-syllable adjectives not ending in -y and for all three-or-more-syllable adjectives, use the form “more + adjective.” For two-syllable adjectives ending in -y, change the -y to -i and add -er.

• RP

The correct choice is a). The problem with b) is "cleverer" is not a word.

There is nothing wrong with either.  some avoid that double-er sound so prefer "More clever" to "cleverer" but neither is incorrect.  There is no obligation to use the -er form rather than the modifier more. 

I, myself, would tend to say "More clever" for the comparative yet "cleverest" for the superlative.  The "rrr" sound is not may favorite, I have trouble with it, so I tend to avoid it (especially a doubling of that "rrr" sound. err-err?  No thanks.

One is generally favored over the other, like more good is typically said as "Better", but more hungry and hungrier are pretty much interchangeable.

I am more hungry than I was at this time yesterday.  I wonder why.

It's  'a'.

Native American English speaker for many decades.

You could also say "cleverest'. Use the superlative when comparing just two people

Source(s): Native American English speaker. Grammar websites.