Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
? asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

will my new bowie knife be sharp enough for cutting?

i inquired yesterday whether my new bowie knife which i got online, will come with a razor sharp edge....and someone told me that that is unlikely....they said it will have a factory edge instead...........i paid a lot of money for this knife and just want to know will a factory edge be sharp enough for cutting?

does my knife not need to have a razor edge?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Most knives will come sharp enough for many uses. Razor sharp to shave may or may not happen. If you do not know how to put an edge on a knife for intended purposes then don`t mess with it until someone that does know how to put an edge shows you. Stay away from any powered equipment although you may have witnessed a professional knife maker use a special buffing wheel to do so until you have gotten the knack down to a science. Look under a high power microscope to see the tiny sliver of steel that moves back and forth on the cutting edge while you fine hone with a stone. Then learn when and how to remove it with a leather strap. Good Luck!

• Kieth

Open the package and find out, ask your uncle if it's sharp enough.