Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Overseas Car shipping insurance?

I'm considering shipping a car overseas from Japan to the US, but it seems that the car is not insured while on the boat unless something happens and the ship goes down. So even if it gets damaged in transit, oh well. Is there a third-party insurer I can use for this sort of thing? Have any of you had experience shipping cars overseas or importing from Japan/another country?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

On the high seas, the Laws of Admiralty apply.  The carrier accepts cargo as a bailment for mutual benefit.  So the carrier is responsible for loss unless the carrier can prove it is not responsible.  And that is almost impossible.  Before you ship, you should find out if the vehicle will be accepted in the US.  All US safety laws have to be met.

Source(s): Retired claims adjuster.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Is there a third-party insurer I can use for this sort of thing?  YES

Have any of you had experience shipping cars overseas or importing from Japan/another country? YES

Ask the shipper or shipping agent, or even your own insurance company. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Call a car exporter agent.  They know the drill.  Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.