Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

USA Today drops a comic strip for making transgender jokes. Is freedom of expression dead?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Amazon won't even publish accurate medical books that criticize aspects of trans activism. Google restricts your search results if you go looking for real scientific studies. It's amazing how much stealth power one batsh!t lobby group has.

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

RT isn't a reliable news source, it's propaganda.

That said, even if the story is as you summarize it in your question (I'm not going to read the RT article), the answer would still be no.

Freedom of expression does not equal the right to have one's comic strips published in a newspaper.

What happened here (if the story is accurate) is a private company making the business decision what to publish in their paper, ostensibly to make their product match as best they can with the demands of their customers in order to maximize sales.

In other words: this is the free market at work that the right always puts on pedestal - unless they don't like the results (in which case they cry foul and, recently, label the undesired result with the catch-all phrase "cancel culture").

• 2 months ago

Bad taste doesn't have to be published. 

• 2 months ago

Interesting. I subscribe to USA Today and can say without hesitation that it does not have any comic strips. It has a few political cartoons. It does not carry Mallard Fillmore.

Or do you mean Gannett Newspapers, which owns USA Today and many small- and medium-city papers? It would be helpful if you actually read the article before sharing your outrage.

I have no problem with a newspaper company that decides to drop a comic for whatever reasons it chooses. That the strip mocks trans individuals is sufficient reason. I'd be fine with dropping a comic that mocked gay people, Asians, Blacks, people who are disabled, Jews, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You must be a commie, because only a commie would demand that a private corporation not only print someone's opinion, but also demand that the corporation pay the author of that opinion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.