Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Should I get a car that looks the same as a previous one and call it the same name?

I extremely miss my cats I had a few years ago (never grieved their loss I just was angry so now I’m feeling the grief) Should I get 2 cats that look the exact same as the ones I used to have and name them the same name? Or will that just make things worse?

• Anna

You can never replace the cats you lost because cats are unique. You can get a couple more cats, preferably go to yourlocal shelter because you will be saving a cats life, plus the price will be cheaper but don't name them the same as your deceased cats. They will be different and may behave differently to your old ones.

• ?

No cats will ever be the cats you lost, ever. They will be different kitties altogether, and while you can try and find the same markings and colors, name them the same, still will be very different. You could find yourself becoming resentful because you are forcing them to be the same. Don't do it. There is no shame in grief counseling if you feel that sad about it.

If you still want kitties, get kitties, but know they will be different than your previous cats. Don't hold it against them if they are polar opposites. Many people do this with animals: they lose a beloved pet, get the same thing, then expect the new animal to be the same and get mad at the poor pet for NOT being the same. All pets have their own little distinct personalities. A cat will sleep, eat, poop, pee, and groom. That's about as same as it gets with all of them.

• *****

They will not behave the same as your old cats, and I personally think that would just make you sadder. If you want a new pet, then get a new pet. You can never replace the animals you have lost as they are unique individuals, you can only open your heart to new ones. 

• Audrey

It will make things worse. Go to a shelter and get one or two cats that have been there a long time. You will be saving their lives and they will help you with yours!