Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Is it possible? ?

I realized I have a drinking problem. So I am

Being serious about it going to get sober and all. My question is, can one have a goal of being sober for a certain amount of time. Like I one day after I’ve learned to control myself I can drink again in moderation? 

i dont see why not

My father was a diagnosed alcoholic.  I think "drinking problem" sugar coats the issue.  My father stayed clean one day at a time.  Eventually it become a week at a time and then a month at a time.  His PHYSICIAN told him that once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic.  He did NOT DRINK, not ever.

• Glass

Maybe. Addiction treatment isn't one size fits all and the idea that you are biologically doomed forever to abuse alcohol is outdated. You can find treatment programs that don't prioritize abstinence as the ultimate goal. But that might not be what you need, ultimately the program that works is the program that keeps you healthy and in control of your choices. For some people it really is all or nothing and they need rigid rules to stay sober. I don't think learning to drink in moderation should be a goal or something you think about right now. Fantasizing about it, or seeing it as a reward, will just create temptation. You have to start seeing a professional and deal with the problem at hand before you worry about the future.    

If you think you have a problem then it's very likely that once you quit and try it again later, you're going to end up in the same boat you are right now. 

Our brain receptors are what cause cravings for alcohol and other drugs. 

• ?

Short answer is nope. Don’t kid yourself. 

It's hard to avoid cliches when answering this, but all the cliches are true. Drinking problems are a lifelong addiction. You can't get sober, then just drink occasionally. You have one drink, and you'll be back to being a problem drinker again. Do yourself a favour, and just recognise you have a drinking problem (well, you obviously already have) and accept it, and move on. You can no longer drink. People drink to avoid reality. Drink takes you to a safe place away from life. If you think you can drink in moderation, a day will come when something awful happens, and you will have a drink to escape it.... and then the drink will keep you in that place, too scared to emerge out of it. Being sober is safer... honestly.