Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

is bullying a learned behavior?

when i was a little baby/kid my older cousin would pick on me and then when i had little cousins i would pick on them. I never understood why i picked on them so i always just assumed it was because my cousin picked on me when i was younger. i was also bullied in elementary school and i would bully kids who were more vulnerable or I didn't like for some reason. i also had anger issues and adhd though.

so i wonder is bullying a learned behavior? are kids who are picked on more likely to pick on kids themselves? I dont pick on people anymore because I'm grown and that's kid **** but i dont really understand why i did it to begin with tbh. maybe i was trying to fit in.

It can sometimes be a way for downtrodden people to feel more powerful.  However, that's an immature line of reasoning that, at least, some folks eventually outgrow.  Personally, I think that parents and school staff should make a bigger effort to reign-in and give guidance to young bullies.