Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

is bullying a learned behavior?

when i was a little baby/kid my older cousin would pick on me and then when i had little cousins i would pick on them. I never understood why i picked on them so i always just assumed it was because my cousin picked on me when i was younger. i was also bullied in elementary school and i would bully kids who were more vulnerable or I didn't like for some reason. i also had anger issues and adhd though.

so i wonder is bullying a learned behavior? are kids who are picked on more likely to pick on kids themselves? I dont pick on people anymore because I'm grown and that's kid **** but i dont really understand why i did it to begin with tbh. maybe i was trying to fit in.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It can sometimes be a way for downtrodden people to feel more powerful.  However, that's an immature line of reasoning that, at least, some folks eventually outgrow.  Personally, I think that parents and school staff should make a bigger effort to reign-in and give guidance to young bullies.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.