Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

I tried 3mg of slow-release melatonin, then 6, then 9. No difference. Should I keep going?

I guess it's more like half if you think about it. Only half is released instantly and the rest very slowly gets released to keep you asleep at night. So 9mg would be more like 4.5mg. Should I try 4 tablets tomorrow night? I've had trouble sleeping my entire life and also have ADHD and anxiety (not taking medication). I feel exactly the same even if I take melatonin- can't sleep until the sun is rising and falling shorter on sleep every day.

I started on a low dose and worked my way up. Still nothing. I really don't know what's wrong with my brain....

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Anxiety manifest itself in different ways. One common effect is insomnia. Since you have both ADHD and anxiety, did you ever think that might be the reason of your insomnia? You are trying to treat the symptom, not the underlying cause. That is no good. You are not doing yourself a favor. Also, melatonin isn't going to help much if the underlying cause of your insomnia is anxiety. Talk to your physician and he can refer you to a specialist who will better assess and treat your conditions. Don't put it off!

Source(s): I'm a doctor

Not a big believer in melatonin. Why not talk to doctor about sleep issue? Or you could try an OTC sleep aid like benadryl.

also, anything going on that is causing the insomnia? too much caffeine? Too much tv/computer?

So perhaps stop the slow-release version.  Taking more of something that doesn't work is not rational.