Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is this company doing something illegal?

There is a new grocery delivery company in my area, they don't have a contract with Hannaford at all, but on this company's website they have products from Hannaford's in which they mark up by 25%, is this illegal for them to do? they say it's to cover the cost of their delivery service. how could they do this without a contract with the grocery store?  I am not mad at them, im just more curious than anything

Update:

The grocery delivery company does not have a contract with the supermarkets because it says so on their frequently asked questions page on their website 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

No.  It is not illegal for them to charge a higher price to cover the cost of their deliveries.  The additional amount pays for their service.  They do not have to have a contract with the grocery store to purchase their items and then deliver them to you.

• 1 month ago

how could they do this without a contract with the grocery store

They send someone to the store to BUY the items, and then resell them to you for a profit. As long as they don't LIE, it is perfectly legal.

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Wrong category.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I see nothing illegal.  It's a private business.  It gets to set its own prices.  Of course, no one has seen any of Hannaford's contracts, and that might change things.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

your state's department that deals with food safety may have an issue with this, but Hannaford likely does not.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

When you eat out, where does the food come from.? Businesses buy it , cook it and double the price.

Anyone can resale, 

• 1 month ago

Buy low, sell high.  It's the American way.  Anyone can buy stuff at the store and then resell it.

They could be buying from the same wholesale company that the grocery store uses.  But for fresh produce it might be cheaper for them to buy at the store.

I used to work at a pizza place, and things we don't use a lot (like pineapple), we would buy at the grocery store.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

How do you know if corporate does not have one.  How do you know that it might be must sell x  amount to be able to.  I am most certain that they have something.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.