chella asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

What’s going on with my cat? ?

I recently rescued a two-year-old calico that I named nova. When I went to get her from the shelter I noticed that she would claw/scratch in a playful manner whenever she was too overstimulated from petting. I thought this was due to her energy not being released. So I brought her home on the first night I left my door open and she attacked me all night biting my arm  and attacking my head etc( she no longer does this tho). So I decided to ensure her energy requirements was met I played with her every day multiple times for hour periods running her all around my apartment and still do. She goes until she pants and doesn’t stop so I get worried sometimes. Plus she plays with her sister I got at the same time all night long. Despite all this she still playfully attacks me sometimes. I don’t play with hands so I know that this isn’t the cause. She also has recently started shredding all paper in sight and one cardboard box down to nothing. I am at a loss of what else to do to get her energy out and wonder sometimes if she has ADHD or something like that. She also doesn’t learn because she will jump up on the counter and I will make a tis sound and put her down and she didn’t get it. Then I moved to a spray bottle and she still jumps up and when I spray at her you can literally tell she has no idea why I’m doing that. Please help lol. I just want to stop the playful attacks.  

If you think her attacks are just being playful, then one has to assume this is something her previous owner encouraged or allowed.  Obviously, talk to your vet.

But what I would never tolerate the attacking my head stuff.  I would yell 'NO!' loud enough that a cat would get the message pretty quickly.  I try to reserve loud verbalizations for stuff when they're being really bad, because I don't want to dilute the effect.  If I over-use it, they might become accustomed to it and it loses it's effect.

• PR

Nova is obviously a very playful cat (and cute, too). Cats don't really get ADHD, but each individual animal is different. As you seem not to mention her sister in this activity, it is assumed her sister is not as active.

It would be assumed Nova is probably young - maybe under one year? Our younger female cat is quite active, as well. She is actually the "ring leader" with the other cats. If Nova is not yet spayed, this may help. The hormones will then settle down, some. She will also mature as she gets a little older. I would not run her around so much. You are probably over-stimulating her and thus making her even more active. A cat should not run around so much that it pants. 

You might consider feeding Nova a little more. Adult cats over one year should always have two meals per day for their whole adult life. A kitten up to age 6 months can eat up to 3 times per day. A hungry cat or kitten will be much more active, because cats hunt for their food, and it is natural to expend energy in the hunt.

Eventually, Nova will settle down as she gets closer to age one. Past that age she will slow down a little more. 

If Nova continues to be especially playful and seems to continue in this manner, you might consider allowing her outside to play. ONLY do this if she is already spayed and at least one year old. You can introduce her to the outdoors a few minutes per day prior to that, with your supervision in order to get her used to it. She should be wearing a cat collar with an I.D. on, and even better, microchipped. She should never be outside at night, and not out if not spayed. 

Be sure both kittens have been wormed by the vet, which is important.

Good for you in rescuing Nova and her sister. She looks like a very lovely cat.

Always watch both cats and remember that if a cat acts differently or seems too quiet, that is a good reason to take the cat to the vet. Cats do not readily show signs of illness and these are often over-looked first signs of illness.

Get Nova and her sister a cat tree. Use spray catnip on it.

Perhaps the picture is misleading, but Nova looks a bit younger than two years. A vet can confirm age by examining the teeth.