Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

My child is 4, but has the mentality of 12 month old. Will it get better? ?

My 4 year old has major autism, he also suffers seizures, he is non verbal and has no way of communicating other than crying like how a new baby does when it needs something. It’s like he never got past the baby stage. Iv been to see doctors and it took 7 months of multi agencies being involved to get a diagnosis, he’s been diagnosed with having sever autism, and has a mental age of 12-18 months..... I asked if his metal age will get better with time??? They said there is no way to tell just yet. Has anyone’s young child been diagnosed with sever autism and a very young mental age..... then when they grow up their metal age also grows up??? 

Favorite Answer

I would hope that you have been recommended to a specialist and a therapist to help work with you and your child.  Dealing with autism is more than just treating the child.  It is also training you on the best ways to help your child since an autistic child doesn't respond in the same way normal children do.

There is no way to know what level your child might achieve.   The only way to find out is to get the right kind of medical help and therapy support to attempt the best outcome possible.

I have a nephew that has many medical issues - much, much more than what you describe.  He is 34 years old but has the mental age of about two or three years old.   The doctors actually told my sister not to expect him to live much past the age of 10 to 12.  But, as I said - he is now 34.  Doctors don't always know what is possible until it happens.  All you can do is learn as much as you can and find as much help as you can to try to help your child develop as much as possible for him.  

How your child responds to getting therapy will determine what is possible for him.  You can't force him to change or learn.  If it is possible, it will take patience and time to get through to him.  Get into a therapy program ASAP.

IF you weren't just trolling you would not be asking this on Yahoo Answers. IF you were the parent of a child diagnosed with sever autism you would have been given numerous contacts for help and advice. IF you are serious then use those contacts for help and advice rather than asking random strangers on Yahoo Answers.

• ?

It'll get better, but potentially not by much. Depending on the severity of the autism, he may never mentally grow out of childhood