What does 'bag' mean in this context?

Judging folks is not my bag. 

Favorite Answer

Bag in this sense,   refers to your skill set, or preferences .

Think of a doctors bag.......he carries a bag, that carries the tools of his trade. 

so figuratively,    you would say,   healing people is my bag. 

What my bag does. 

so something not your bag, is something you can't do. 

Fixing cars is not my bag...... (you don't have that skill set. ) 

Riding roller coasters is not my bag....(meaning not your preference) 

• denise

It means its not my nature to judge folks / people.

Not some behavior that I do. 

Not my bag-- not to be something one prefers, desires or cares about. [Urban dictionary]

This is from 1960s slang.

Source(s): Grew up in the 1960s. And was part of the counterculture in Californai

A "Bag" in this use is used to describe what you like to do and are good at.  I am a geologist, so rocks are my bag.  Hacking would be the bag of some computer nerds.  20-something men are the bag of cougars: "that old guy at the end of the bar, he's more your type, but he isn't my bag", says the cougar to her friend.

Judging folks is not my bag = I do not judge folks, it is not who I am or what I do.