Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Today's music is utter JUNK compared to music from the sixties. Why the decline?

• ?

I'm guessing you first got laid in the sixties.  And I'm not guessing.

It's this thing called inherent bias, and Kid Rock (of all people) explained it perfectly:  Whatever music you were listening to when you first got laid will always be THE greatest music of all time, end of debate.

I know, I wouldn't have guessed that guy would come up with something intelligent either, but he did.  And he's right.

I fully agree....50 years from now..no one is gonna remember the music of

2020/2021.....it's that bad, untalented artists, poor/terrible singers...overpaid

music that's gonna end up in the garbage can.

In the sixties artists were free to follow their creativity. Music went into all kinds of directions in that great decade. Now in the 2000's the labels put constraints on the artist. Political correctness is a biggie. Political correctness and creativity are polar opposites. If the artist doesn't fall in line he's fired! Electronics to tweak vocals and other aspects of the song is another crutch that's used to get what the label owners want regardless of the artist's intent. The result is like the labels are dictating every note by focus groups and who knows by what other artificial criteria. If you want to know why constraints are creativity killers then see what this psychologist has to say about it [he's a specialist on creative thinkers like artists and musicians]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGPe1jD-qY

• Herve

If you're referring to chart music i agree. it's homogenous rubbish forced by risk-averse corporations.

@Anonymous  that's nonsense. Music didn't start with Mozart and you have no evidence for your claim that every generation has thought that. It is just lazy hand-waving.I wasn't born in the 1800s or 1900s but I certainly think modern classical is the greatest music ever composed.

There is plenty of good music these days. You have to stop listening to the teenybopper radio stations.

• ?

There is not much demand for real talent and skill.

Marketing muppets, as kind of poked fun of in South Park episode "The Ring" (Season 13, Episode1) where they poked fun at the Jonas Brothers + Disney + the music industry.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq5XdiVZFQg

Richard Ashcroft from '90's band "The Verve" had a bit of a dig at the music executives and the sort of people they prefer over real talent too a few years ago when he was doing a solo tour of the US with Liam Gallagher from other famous '90's band "Oasis"....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIci0X6hhs

Music has been on a downward slide ever since Mozart was alive. What I mean is, every generation thinks their music was better than the current one.