Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Do Italians qualify as 'latinos'?

Or when you say Latino do you really mean Spanish speaking people?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Latino generally refers to people from the Americas that are influenced by Romance-based languages and cultures. Italians are "Latin", but not Latino. The same can be said for people from Spain, Portugal, and France. Latinos of the Americas (especially those so focused on Spain) need to realize Italian culture and practices are also part of Latin America. Especially in the case of Argentina. 

• ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

NO, Italy is NOT located in Latin America and Italians are not of Latin descent. They're European. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Latinos are mixed with Africans (Blacks). Italians, French, Romanians, Portuguese (Lusophones), Spaniards speak Romance languages and are not Latino. 

You Latinos need to get off of this hard-on, love affair with Italians. They don't like you. Another example of self-hate among Latinos and wanting to be White so badly. 

Don't thumb me down. I hear plenty of Latinos use "Pisan" and other words that Italians use. I'm in New York City. I'd like to see those Latinos say that at night in Bensonhurst, Howard Beach, Belmont (The Bronx) or Staten Island. They will get a beatdown, their Latino Wake Up Call.  Lol!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I know some Italians whose name means "French Man" WTF? One is my son-in-law.I don't like him much.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

No, they are italian

• Magui
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Sometimes I feel like USAmericans of Spanish Latin American origins aka the so called Latinos have appropriated themselves of all the Latinissity and other people can no longer claim it.

Source(s): Latin European
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Calling Spanish-speaking people (and Lusophones) in the Americas "LatinX" is, in fact due to the Roman language.  But it doesn't apply to Italians.

That's because it is an American idiom, not a European one.  Americans two hundred years ago distinguished between themselves and the other European-descended people (including those with Native heritage, also) by RELIGION, not by tongue or color.  Americans at that time were by far majority PROTESTANT, while those in Central and South American countries were by far majority CATHOLIC.  Catholics celebrated mass in LATIN.  Americans, entertaining strong religious prejudices stemming from their ancestors' experiences before they fled Europe after centuries of Protestant vs Catholic strife, identified all those adhering to what they considered to be an enemy faith as "Latins", and all of Central and South America to be "Latin America".  It was more seemly than calling it "Papist America" or "Idolatrous America" - but the underlying sentiment was the same.

So you're quite right, after all.  The language of the Romans is what this is all about, but not exactly in the manner that you imagined.  The Americans conceived of a Protestant America and a "Latin" (i.e. Catholic) America in the 1820s, and the name stuck even after Protestant America became more and more Catholic.  (The idiom has never extended outside the hemisphere.  Americans don't talk about "Latin Europe" or "Latin Asia" or "Latin Africa" even though such things could be said to exist.)

• 1 month ago

Actually Latino really only means S. Americans who have migrated and live now in the United States.  Check this out:

Latino

People

The term Latino, along with its feminine form Latina, is a noun and adjective often used in English, Spanish and Portuguese to refer to people in the United States with cultural ties to Latin America. Wikipedia

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.