What was breakfast, lunch, dinner like in the 1940s?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

My mother would make a special breakfast on weekends with eggs and other things like pancakes or French Toast but during the week we would have cereal but they did not have all of the fruit loops and sugary cereals back then only Corn Flakes, Rice Crispies and Wheaties.  We also had hot cereal cream of wheat or Oatmeal. For lunch we had sandwiches with milk and for supper we had meat and potatoes or chicken and sometimes leg of lamb or lamb chops, pork chops or ham, and my favorite roast beef and the potatoes were baked or mashed. We had peas or string beans for green vegetables and many different kinds of salad green salad or coleslaw. We also had fish and there were real butchers as there were no supermarkets so you went to the butcher for meats and poultry and the green grocers for veggies. There were also sea food markets and small stores that were like today's convenience stores. When we ate out we went to Chinese restaurants or Jewish Delis and sometimes to an Italian restaurant. There were special ice cream parlors that had real Sundays with real ice cream made fresh every day much better than the ice cream they have today.. There were no pizzas until after WWII. Milk was delivered to the door by the milkman and it was not homogenized but had cream on top which was used for coffee or in desserts.  Soda came in bottles not cans and the bottles were returned for a 2 cent refund. The milk also came in glass bottles not cartons or plastic containers. Some food was sold form horse drawn carts in the city which in our case was Philadelphia PA and there were also guys that sold old rags for cleaning and others who came around to sharpen knives. The drug stores also had soda fountains where you could get ice cream that came in big tubs and they made soda for you by mixing the syrup and adding the seltzer right at the eating counter. They had real malted  milks that wee made with ice cream syrup and milk with malt added.  I guess today's smoothies are similar. My mother made real Devil's food cake with butter cream icing and there were no cake mixes so you had to make it from scratch. We had cookies and milk at night before going to bed. There were bakeries for fresh bread and pies or tarts and cakes. There were no fast food places so the food was very fresh and tasty. My  father was away at war so it was just my brother and I and my mother but we had grandparents aunts and uncles all living in the same neighborhood so we went to eat at their houses also but my mother was the best cook. I will include a pictuer of the family before my father left for the war. 

• Me

I couldn’t tell you because that was decades before I was born

• denise

Well, I was'nt alive back then, but in the UK rationing was in operation so it could have been porridge and possibly some toast made from home baked bread.

The other meals would have depended on what was made from the amounts of food each person / family had. 

It was much, much cheaper.

Americans and Canadians ate well in WW2.  Food in abundance. Eat all you want.

So much food there were mountains of food in the garbage.  Tens of thousands of pigs ran feral and ate the garbage.  Then the pigs were rounded up for lard.  And the lard was used for explosives in bombs.  Then tens of thousands of pigs again..............  Coffee, tea and sugar were hard to get.  Everyone had a huge garden.  All farmers sold daily in the cities.

In GB and most of Europe, very frugal because of WW2 and its aftermath. Most foods were rationed. Some were totally unavailable. Although the war ended in 1945, rationing did not finally finish until 1954. Some items were taken off ration before others. Many people grew vegetables in their garden to supplement what could be obtained from shops, some even kept rabbits for their meat, although wild rabbit meat was one of the few meats that was not rationed.

Source(s): My parents, who lived through it.
  • kswck2

Pretty much the same as it is now, barring some ingredients that were not readily available. 

During the war or after the war. 

The same as now.People would put food in their mouths,chew it and then swallow.

• CB

Just like it is today without avocados or hot sauce.