Why are republicans against a 15 dollar minimum wage?

It should be more around 20 something like in australia if you ask me

cause kyrsten sinema and joe manchin are REPUBLICANS

gorgia not if we implement PRICE CONTROLS

• Ann

A blanket minimum wage will put small businesses out of business. Teenagers aren't feeding families and don't need $15. Frankly, if Bob wanted to earn more money, he should have done better in school and/or go back to school like thousands of other people do everyday. 

There are very real gains and losses over raising the minimum wage.   As you raise it, then people working earn more money...but employers have to pay more wages, and that can lead to price rises and inflation, businesses cutting the number of employees or replacing workers with automation.

There does need to be a balancing act between paying a decent wage that someone can realistically live on (It would be interesting to see how many Republican politicians would actually survive if forced to live on the minimum wage)  and keeping as many people employed as possible.

There have been studies done showing the results of this trade-off, and it should be possible to do a calculation that would give the best estimate of what minimum wage value would give the best overall result of the most people earning the best money that they can.

But fundamentally much of the problem is because there has been no change to the minimum wage since 2009 when it was raised to $7.25 per hour.  If that had kept up with inflation it would be about $9 per hour today.

I am not saying that is a living wage or not, but a good chunk of the change to a $15/hour wage should already have been there, if in 2009 they had index-linked the minimum wage.

Any movement to $15 / hour over a reasonable time frame is going to result in a relatively rapid increase per year, which  makes it harder for businesses to adjust. which is going to make the downside issues of a change worse than if the rate had kept pace with inflation.

But very few people are actually talking real numbers, and real studies and real consequences.    The pundits on one side say "$15/hour today" and ignore that it will mean thousands of job losses,  while the pundits on the other side say "No new costs to business" and ignore the social impact that earning below the poverty line means in terms of health, crime, education etc.

And both sides just dismiss the problems their position creates, rather than working out a way to actually address them.

Edit:

See Compton's response.   I would love to see his break-down of the costs that result in the price of a Big Mac.  How much of that price increase is due to wages going up, how much is due to increased cost of ingredients, how much is due to increased rent and utility costs?

What does Mc Donald's actually pay it's employees?  Several states have minimum wage values significantly above the Federal level, so maybe that $8 burger only becomes a $8.01 burger?   Maybe the impact of a wage increase is very significant and it becomes a $12 burger.  

But people produce these "examples" to fit their preconceptions and support their argument.  They are not actually doing the real world calculation to see what the answer really is.

If you raise costs and price controls low margin businesses and small businesses will just close as they can’t survive. Since low margin businesses often employ more people you will create massive unemployment. The big driver behind minimum wage price increases are unions whose wages are often pegged to a multiplier of the minimum wage, they have little concern for the overall economic impact of low skill workers.

• ?

the higher minimum wage get the higher prices get 

ex: a big mac meal was $3 when min was $4.25hr but now that minimum wage is $12hr a big mac meal $8. if we increase minimum wage to $15hr a big mac meal is gonna be $9 or $10. then people are going to be complaining.instead of increasing minimum wage people should just get a better job  

Because there will be fewer jobs available and there will be fewer people working full time.  There will also be business owners having less money.

I'm not defending their view, but it's likely to be along the lines of, most people don't stay in their lowest-paid job for long and it makes it harder for small businesses to afford to hire people.  But this is based on Tory views of minimum wage in the past over here in the UK, so it's just a guess.

Employers will just ad the increase of wages to the prices of the goods they sell. Are you ready to pay extra $$ for a burger from McDonalds? Or more for a crappy shirt from WallyWorld? The $5 & Under store will go to $8 & Under. How do you feel about $4 /gal of gas? Is that where you want to go these days?  

• ALBERT

. I am American and I do care about the future and health of my country. I think I should have a say about decisions that could harm the heath of my country and perhaps destroy it's economy Money does not grow on trees and in case a business has to pay it's employees such wages where will it get it's money from? Will it not have to raise the prices of it's products and services. That means that because of the selfishness of a few many will then have a hart time financially. My question is :Do the people who want such high wages deserve it. How to teach the value of money to people who justare starting in the workforce? Are you trying to bankrupt and destroy our country. Thanks God we still have some republicans who still seem to have some good sense and insight!

When you say "Republicans" do you mean the two you know?  I'm Republican, and conservative.  I like the $15 minimum, and I don't like Trump or how he acts and talks.  Not all people are defined by one title.

• Wages will go up, employment goes down--jobs are cut. Cost of living goes up, too. Nothing is without consequences.