Do likes help more than dislikes on YouTube videos?

I've heard that both likes and dislikes will help a video cause they all count as engagement on the video, but do likes help anymore than dislikes do?

UPDATE: By the way, I specifically mean in the YouTube algorithm as to what videos get recommended to people.

Favorite Answer

In terms of the algorithm, it makes no difference. Engagement is engagement as far as YouTube is concerned, doesn’t matter if its negative. Lots of comments would also be engagement that YouTube likes, even if its just comments about how bad the video is. 

The likes/dislikes is more for the creator so they know if people are liking the videos they’re putting out. 

When I'm watching a video tutorial with an explanation how to do stuff, I expect it will work... And when I see that there are dislikes more than likes, that means I don't have to waste my time as what's in this video doesn't work.