Is it selfish to take a new career across the country with parents in their 70s?

I am 27 years old residing in Connecticut in my hometown. I have never lived elsewhere in my life. My parents also have never lived elsewhere. They are in their late 60s/early 70s.

I have a stable and solid career in the state in fleet management. An opportunity has come up in California for entry level aerospace position with equal pay/benefits. I really want to take this opportunity to experience a new place and expose my self to a new field for future prospects. 

My parents say I am deserting them and I have failed to get their support. They have two other children in area, however I am the "baby" ( lived home until 25). Im nervous to take new job and regret "leaving" them, but I also dont want to regret not taking this opportunity. 

The position is with SpaceX, dealing with rocketry. 

Everybody should live elsewhere.  It's exciting and opens the mind.  Staying in one terrible place for too long closes it.

• Maxi

You are an adult and have ONE life you do what is the right thing for you

You have a better opportunity but your parents are making you feel guilty about it. That's on YOU. You have to decide which is more important--getting ahead in your life, or being your parents' scapegoat for the rest of THEIR lives. In my opinion, you need to take that opportunity and break away from that sort of manipulation. But you may feel differently about this. So that's why I said it's on YOU. You have to decide what's more important to you--and what will help you more in the long run. I don't see that 'serving' your parents' needs for the next decade or so is going to be at all productive, but what do YOU think?  Is that what you want?  If you give into them now, they will keep demanding until you are simply unable to move ahead at all. That's how this usually ends up. 

You have siblings. It's time your siblings step up and help care for your aging parents, if they even need to be cared for. That's my opinion here--but it's your decision. 

It makes sense to work 

No.  Explain that you will call frequently and will visit often -- and then do.

Wow, you shouldn't pass up this opportunity!  No it's not selfish, and your parents should be thrilled for you! Your parents have never lived anywhere else, and so they probably can't understand why people don't stay in the same place forever. With the other two kids there, and the likelihood they have many years left, they will be fine; they just need to understand that they can still easily connect with you daily. The job would not only be great for you, but you'll get to see totally new places and meet new friends. Spacex is the most exciting company to exist in a long time.  Take the job!!

No but be aware of the cost of living out west 

And SO many commie democrats

i dont think so, maybe you can take them with you

"They have two other children in area"

LOL!    You mean your brothers and/or sisters?

"The position is with SpaceX"

No one cares about your fantasy.

Troll smarter, dear.