Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Will using a throttle body spray cleaner cause damage to my O2 sensors?

One of my cars, a 98 E46 323i, uses 4 wire O2 sensors that is now running either lean or rich while displaying some code about fuel trim bank open. I was just wondering if throttle body cleaner, or even cleaning the oxygen/Lamba sensors, would make any difference at all.  The car seems to run alright but consumes a lot of fuel while giving off the smell of unburnt petrol.

The engine itself is also making this rattle of some sort that comes and goes possibly because of the sensor causing the engine to run too rich or lean. It already overheated once 

I’m intending on cleaning my oxygen sensors with the throttle body spray. 

You might be able to get away with cleaning an MAF sensor, but not an O2 sensor. 

that will not clean the o2 sensors it will burn off in the cylinders. o2 sensors should not need cleaning they read the o2 in the exhaust stream against the air we breathe thru the cable of the sensor. by the time they set a code they have just plain failed some fail faster than others.

The 02 sensors should not be cleaned. Cleaning the throttle body with throttle body cleaner is good to do every 30,000 miles. If you smell gasoline fumes check the injector o-rings for leakage. If you're getting 20 mpg with your BMW be happy.

O2 sensors are self-cleaning.  It is better just to replace them but replace them with OEM or factory ones. 

And once again, read and tell us what the trouble codes are so we can help you better.

Buy a cleaner that is labeled safe for O2 Sensor. 

A rich or lean mixture will not cause an engine noise and it's very easy to test the operation of the sensors with a digital voltmeter.

Find out what's causing the noise first, if the engine noise can be repaired then get a wiring diagram and check to see if the O2 signal line is toggling. If you have no idea what I'm talking about take it to a pro.