Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

The shopkeeper sold only ------ pair of socks. Options:- a) A; b) An; c) The; d) None of the above;?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Vivian
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Option a): "The shopkeeper sold only a pair of socks." would be correct for a non-specific "pair of socks".

Option b): The article "an" is incorrect because "pair" does not have "p" as an initial vowel sound.

Option c): "The shopkeeper sold only the pair of socks." would be correct for a specific "pair of socks".

Option d): "None of the above" is incorrect because the correct options are either "a" or "c".

• 1 month ago

The shopkeeper sold only ------ pair of socks. 

Answer Options:

a) A                                  ✔

b) An

c) The

d) None of the above

• 1 month ago

Not obvious which of two options is best (A or D).  If she sold a single pair of socks, and just that one pair, then you could say that "she sold only A pair of socks" (as opposed to selling several pairs of socks), but if she only sold socks, in pairs, then she sold only pairs of socks.  The two sentences have different meanings and different situations where they could make sense. The answer could be A, but it also could be D.  D would be the more common way to think of things.  The A version can be said but only in a particular set of conditions.

It is possible, but even more uncommon, that you mean a very particular and specific pair of socks that was sold, and that you could say "she sold only the pair of socks (and nothing else)".

If I were giving the answer, I would say A and take my chances.

• 1 month ago

"a" is correct. lower case only.

"the" would be correct in some cases, again, lower case.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rotchm
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No questions. Does not belong in a math forum.

Spam reported.

I incite others to do the same. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.