Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Jim2
Jim2 asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 weeks ago

What do you think of this comment from CNN, concerning Yahoo answer's shutdown?

"Like many corners of the internet, Yahoo Answers has become a cesspool of conspiracy theories and outlandish questions that dragged down Yahoo's brand as it tries to move upscale. For example, one of the top questions on the website Tuesday morning asks "Is Yahoo Answers being shut down because conservatives have exposed the Socialist takeover of America?"

If you google my quote (or part of it) you will get many hits. So I'm not sure which news agency originally published this excerpt, but I think it was CNN.

Other good answers too, of course. Always tough just picking one.

Favorite Answer

CNN's statement sounds about right.  The big forum (politics of course) is pretty much a cesspit of unsubstantiated extremist claims and accusations.  My guess is that what's really driving it though is that Y!A simply isn't profitable.

I spent years answering questions in the 'Computers and Internet' section. 10 years ago there was no way 1 individual could keep up with the shear volume of Computer Hardware related question. You could spend all day answering questions if you wanted to. Nowadays, you might see a question that's worth answering once every 2 days. If there's a new product release then a few questions might pop up but nothing major.

Over the last 7 years, I've seen Yahoo Answers slowly deflate. Some of it has to do with the hack that happened a few years ago and now no one trusts yahoo. About 3 years ago Yahoo Answers was having some major functionality issues from about 3-4 months and I noticed the volume of questions never returned after that. People have found other forums where they can get a more reliable answer. 

• chorle

Do you have a clip of that because it seems like something the Babylon Bee or The Onion would have written but as we have learned in the past 10 years just because a headline looks like a parody quote doesn't mean it isn't a real headline

Anything that does not promote deviancy and socialism is being cancelled.  If we cannot change this path, the USA will simply not exist in another 5 years.

Biden just said the constitution is not absolute. They intend to cancel it  and replace it with a woke version of Sodom and Gamora.

Yahoo turned itself into a cesspool with non stop coverage and worship of the Kardashians and Paris Hiltons and other disgusting people with zero self control and self respect... But if you say anything you are branded a racist or a sexist.

CNN?  In the 80's they were a respectable news site. Today they are a cesspool of of far left deviancy and  socialism. CNN is exactly like Fox, just the other side of the same bad penny. 

It's always been a cesspool.

LIES CNN ALWAYS LIES!!!!! It's my fault and I proudly take responsibility. See image for my latest trophy.

I don't think CNN is anywhere near enough in touch w/ the history of YA. I am as a user for 15 yrs. I think YA is shutting down f/ how it developed to an 'unsupervised recess on the playground' where people lost respect and decency. They persistently breached TOS. Many people didn't do their duty to report violations. The self-regulated forum experiment failed because of this. YA won't hitch to this image.

Spot on!!!!   LOLOLOL 

• KTJoe

Like the old grease man radio show,  CNN is "Shock value" based.

I think they're ignoring the fact that it was deliberately poorly moderated.

• helene

What a bunch of baloney. This site was taken over by fetishists, perverts, autistic spamming trolls, paranoid schizophrenics, and anti-semites YEARS ago. For some reason, Yahoo didn't think THAT was "dragging down their brand."